Safety & Backup
YOUR SAFETY, SUPPORT AND BACK-UP ON YOUR PROGRAM
Once you decide to venture abroad to live or work, a whole new vista of experience opens up for you. From the moment you get onto the Aeroplane, everything is new, different and exciting. The smells, sounds, the people, the weather, the language, the environment, food tastes different, flowers and trees are more exotic … It’s a wonderful, eye-opening experience and one that you’ll never forget.
But initially it can also be a little scary. That’s why our Coordinator and Staff all help you with advice and guidance each step of the way, starting with helping you to choose the best place and the most suitable projects for you. And they continue to give assistance for the duration of your stay.
“I had the most wonderful time during my gap year and I was most impressed with WIN-NEPAL as a company, I have nothing but praise for them.” – Esther Marcillo
We have over 7 years expert knowledge of the volunteering and travel sector. We have huge volunteers to over all our projects around the Nepal, since 2010. We receive volunteers FROM all over the world, TO all over the world! By volunteering with us you can really make a difference in the local communities and wildlife that we work with globally – you can make your impact.
Our No. 1 priority is to ensure that you are in a safe environment while on your project. With this firmly in mind, we only start new destinations that are politically stable and safe. Where a situation changes (as happened in all over the country with the earth-quake, for example), our staffs and our local staff constantly monitor the situation. If we think that your safety is compromised, we will immediately take steps to remove you from the unsafe environment.
We are constantly in contact with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and this supplements the information received from our local staff on the ground.
Support from our Local Staff:
We have excellent, paid, local support and back-up staff teams in all our destination places and they are there to assist with any concerns, advice and administration. They are contactable 24 hours a day and we are in constant liaison with them about you and your placement. They look after you during your stay and liaise with our partner organisations to ensure that your placement provides maximum benefit to both you and them. They can also give you help or advice on your teaching/work responsibilities and the practical aspects of living abroad.
Their local knowledge is invaluable and they can direct you to all the most impressive sights and tourist attractions to visit, as well as the beauty spots that are off the beaten track! They will also advise you on any safety issues specific to places that you may want to visit during your free time.
I loved them (the in-country support team), honestly, and they were some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. They made me feel right at home. Carroline, USA
Support from our Staff:
We have an excellent support network in the Nepal. During the run-up to beginning your placement, our home team’s advice and expertise is invaluable in arranging and tailoring your placement to your requirements. They can answer all your questions and are very experienced travelers themselves – many are ex-travelers Volunteers and they understand what you’re looking for and hoping to gain on your project.
Before your arrival we help you with all stages of planning your trip, from arranging your travel dates to coincide with others, booking your flights or helping you decide what to take with you. We stay in touch with you during your placement to ensure you’re having a great time. Many of our volunteers stay in touch long after they have come home to keep us updated on what they have been doing. We love to hear from them.
You’ll have a WIN-NEPAL Coordinator dedicated to you. Who will plan, arrange and co-ordinate your placement from beginning to end, in consultation with you, and you’ll get to know quite well by the time you’re ready to leave.
On Your Arrival:
Our local in-country manager will meet you at the nearest international airport, without additional charge, regardless of whether we’ve booked your flights or you’ve chosen to book them yourself. This is because we’re very aware of how daunting it can be to travel for the first time to a strange country. A friendly face to welcome you is very reassuring!
On very rare occasions we may use a reputable approved local transfer company to pick up volunteers from the airport, but usually you’ll be met by a member of our overseas staff, who will hold up a Travelers sign or one with your name on.
Placements and Projects:
Before you go on your placement, we’ll send you lots of information to help you prepare. Before leaving your home country, you’ll be given (among-st other things):
- Contact information, i.e. the address and telephone number of your Travelers Manager and, where relevant, the contact details of your host work organisation.
- Your Placement – this is a booklet filled with information about your placement. It includes information on flights, visas, local transport, currency, the cost of living, medical info, insurance info, what to take with you, dress code and a host of other things.
- Your Project – detailed information about your specific project or projects.
- Your Country – a booklet containing general information about the country you’re going to, including the town or city, the people, the culture, places worth visiting while you’re there, including photos.
- If you’re doing a teaching placement, we also send you a Teaching Guide to help you prepare. This will assist you in planning lessons and give you ideas for topics to use in your classes.
- You will also receive a Safety Guide with travel tips, put together by Travelers to help you travel safely.
- An ID Card – This is a wallet-sized card with your photo and the address and telephone numbers of WIN-NEPAL office and our local office. It’s laminated (makes a good souvenir!) and is easy and convenient to carry around with you.
- Flights and Travel: You can arrange your own flights or we can assist you with your flight arrangements. We’ll liaise with you regarding suitable flights and dates and thereafter all your flight bookings/payments will be fulfilled for you .